*countable infinities only

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 14 02:07:48 UTC 2012

Peter Jones wrote:
> I find it pretty hard to believe this position. Through my role working
> on our bootloaders at Red Hat, I've seen a fair amount of pre-production
> hardware, and I've spent a lot of time looking at hardware that implements
> Secure Boot, and how it does so. I've seen the firmware interfaces so far.
> They've gotten a lot better than when they initially started shipping, but
> there are still plenty of them where /I/ can't figure out what the
> firmware options mean.

The user only needs to be able to touch the "Secure Boot" setting, not the
"Frobnicate the XYZ unit" setting nobody understands the meaning of.

> It's pretty disingenuous to think that our users are going to be able to
> figure this out.

In our target userbase? Are you sure?

Oh, and the tax forms I have to fill out every so often have plenty of
cryptical things I'm supposed to fill in somehow, yet the government expects
me to be able to figure it out. I think disabling "Secure" Boot is probably
actually easier than filling out the average tax form.

        Kevin Kofler