Important kernel update should not break stuff

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 14 02:54:11 UTC 2012

Felix Miata wrote:
> Is "never" appropriate even if one's own experience is with 3 systems? 7
> systems? 13 systems? 40 systems? Never say never, or always. ;-)

That can widen the class of affected devices, but from there to "all Intel
WiFi" is still a long stretch. (For a starter, last I checked they didn't
even all use the same driver, but some legacy chipsets had legacy drivers.
Then AFAIK there are different code paths in iwlwifi for different device
generations, and also different firmware. And then of course different
hardware behaves differently. Plus, WiFi issues also tend to depend on the
exact configuration you're using, in particular on how the access point is
set up. And finally there can be interaction with other hardware or drivers
on the machine.)

        Kevin Kofler