[headsup] Haskell Platform 2012.2 coming soon to Rawhide

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 03:18:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

Just a quick heads-up that haskell-platform in Rawhide
will be soon be updated to the new 2012.4 release. [1]
As usual there will be quite a bit of dependency breakage
while all the reverse dependencies get rebuilt:
I have already tested it locally and committed
required changes to git.  At the same time we will also
be updating various libraries to their latest versions.

In other Haskell news, ghc-7.4.2 was finally released. [2]
I am still a bit split on whether we should ship
it in F18.  It is a bugfix release but it is not clear
yet if Haskell Platform will see an official release
in time for F18 - it needs a change to their schedule anyway,
which is under discussion.  ghc-7.4.2 also has ghci support for ARM.
I guess it comes down to whether we give priority to
ghc or haskell-platform: e.g. Ubuntu 12.04 shipped
ghc-7.4.1 and an unofficial haskell-platform-2012.1
(whereas F17 is still on ghc-7.0.4 and the last official
haskell-platform-2011.4 release).
Debian is currently transitioning ghc-7.4.1 and
haskell-platform-2012.2 to testing too.

Jens

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/
[2] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.4.2/html/users_guide/release-7-4-2.html