ARM is a dead end

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 14 23:57:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've been pointed to a news item about a (apparently the first) x86 (Atom)
based smartphone:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/14/orange-san-diego-review/

So even smartphones are going x86 now. It looks like x86 is going to defeat
ARM just like it defeated all the previous attempts at changing the
instruction set, even Intel's own IA-64. The fastest x86 CPUs are still
worlds faster than the fastest ARM CPUs. This new smartphone's single-core
Atom is competitive in speed with other smartphones' multi-core ARMs.

So I would urge Fedora not to waste our time on a low-end architecture
filling a temporary niche which will become obsolete as demand for
performance increases. We should rather support only one primary
architecture (x86, i.e.: x86_64, and legacy i686 as long as there's a need
for it) and support it well, as we have done since we finally got rid of the
legacy PPC burden. Niche architectures are exactly what secondary
architectures are for.

        Kevin Kofler