ARM is a dead end

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 04:42:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been pointed to a news item about a (apparently the first) x86 (Atom)
> based smartphone:
> http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/14/orange-san-diego-review/
>
> So even smartphones are going x86 now. It looks like x86 is going to defeat
> ARM just like it defeated all the previous attempts at changing the
> instruction set, even Intel's own IA-64. The fastest x86 CPUs are still
> worlds faster than the fastest ARM CPUs. This new smartphone's single-core
> Atom is competitive in speed with other smartphones' multi-core ARMs.
>
> So I would urge Fedora not to waste our time on a low-end architecture
> filling a temporary niche which will become obsolete as demand for
> performance increases. We should rather support only one primary
> architecture (x86, i.e.: x86_64, and legacy i686 as long as there's a need
> for it) and support it well, as we have done since we finally got rid of
> the
> legacy PPC burden. Niche architectures are exactly what secondary
> architectures are for.
>
>        Kevin Kofler
>
> --

<troll mode>
Why do we waste time on Linux, when we all just can use Windows, the
desktop market leader ????
</troll mode>

Linux is about choices and is driven by people by by people with passions
for something, even if not what every body else think is importent.
So telling people to don't waste time on something they care about, Is
wrong in so many ways.

Tim