Schedule for Monday's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Sat Jun 16 13:06:10 UTC 2012

Hi.

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 14:57:30 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote

> One of the most inportant advance of Linux over Windows is the
> fact, that there are only a few situations - like kernel updates -
> which requires a reboot of your system.

Linux has, in principle, the same problem as Windows, that while
you can replace files that are in use running processes will (of course)
not pick up the changes until restarted. Most daemons do so when updated
themselves, but, for example, updating zlib because of an exploit will
not restart all daemons using the exploitable library, so unless the
admin restarts those manually or the system is rebooted you might
still be vulnerable.

MS has choosen the reboot route to deal with this, and current versions
leave it up to the user to initiate the reboot while nagging about
it in regular intervals (which Fedora does not do, and I'm not sure
this is a good thing tbh).

--
Democracy is 3 wolves & a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.