Schedule for Monday's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 16 21:58:03 UTC 2012

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> #topic ticket 868 F18 Feature: MiniDebugInfo -
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo
> .fesco 868

I really hope this is rejected. As already discussed in the relevant thread,
it would add bloat to the live images which would force us to drop useful
software from the KDE spin to fit the size target. And for what gain? We
have -debuginfo packages, we have ways to auto-install them when needed, and
we even have the Retrace Server.

I shall also point out that the percentages given for the size increase are
very misleading, because they are for (xz-)compressed debugging information
vs. uncompressed executables. But on the live images, EVERYTHING is xz-
compressed. And of course already xz-compressed data will not compress any
further with another xz run. So 43 MiB of xz-compressed symbols means a live
image size increase of 6.14%! That is HUGE, and will require dropping a lot
of other things to compensate for.

IMHO, it is just plain unacceptable that this feature is being pushed
through by its submitter without any regard to the live images, and I
strongly hope FESCo will block this.

        Kevin Kofler