redhat-rpm-config and rpm-build (fwd)

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Jun 17 00:46:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On 06/15/2012 05:03 AM, Jens Petersen wrote:
>>> yum install rpm-build should install an rpmbuild version that works
>>> as expected for fedora. Currently, it does not because it is missing the
>>> dependancy on redhat-rpm-config.
>>
>> Well I tend to agree: it would be the least surprising behaviour for most
>> fedora packagers.
> I think it's a silly idea.
>
> rpm-build is a generic tool and redhat-rpm-config is a redhat
> specific/proprietary add-on/plugin to it.

Then add redhat-rpm-config as a buildrequire for all fedora packages.
(though that might be a catch22)

>> Though I understand the point about keeping rpmbuild generic -
>> I don't see how pulling in redhat-rpm-config would break generic rpms?
> Though I don't have a current example of current redhat-rpm-config breaking
> generic rpms, history is full of such cases.

Someone building non-fedora/non-epel rpms should be expected to create
their own version of foo-rpm-config that satisfies/obsoletes the same
dependancy as redhat-rpm-config.

>> Surely most people have it installed anyway.
> Well, fedora packagers will have it installed, because
> fedora-packager pulls it in.

group names are no replacements for proper dependancies. People who
build rpms need to be able to "yum install rpmbuild" and get a working
setup. They should not need to spend an hour googling on why their
debuginfo packages don't get build.

Paul