*countable infinities only

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 04:16:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 23:21:14 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

>> > Numerous non-vaporware recommendations follow, snipped directly from the thread:
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> These suggestions boil down to:
>>
>> 1) Do nothing
>> 2) Become a hardware vendor
>> 3) Use a Fedora key
>>
>> None of these solve the problem of getting Fedora onto arbitrary x86
>> hardware bought towards the end of this year.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
>
>I think 50 million dollars toward buying, and properly arranging
>the UEFI, of several lots of x86 computers would indeed solve
>part of the problem you point out.
>
>Why not?

Intel just launched their Ivy Bridge processors, which has resulted in
likely more than 200 different products being released (combined
motherboards and systems from vendors like Dell).

Then add all the other older Intel processors that will be used in
Windows 8 certified hardware.

Don't forgot to add in products based on AMD processors.

Now factor in the customizations that can be done to many of those
products, and you can quickly see that there is no way Red Hat can
hope to offer hardware that would make every Linux user happy.

Not to mention that you are effectively telling anyone not currently
using "Red Hat Hardware" that they can't run Linux, thus eliminating
the ability to gain new Linux users.