*countable infinities only

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 04:54:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not to mention that you are effectively telling anyone not currently
>> using "Red Hat Hardware" that they can't run Linux, thus eliminating
>> the ability to gain new Linux users.
>
> You have committed a sign error in your argument.
>
> Because there are 200 different products being released,
> certainly Red Hat can get another motherboard made.  It would
> just be the 201st such motherboard.
>
> Further, this is in answer to just another aspect of the same
> sign error: We do not have to solve any such problem as you pose.
> One superior motherboard would be of great help to Fedora, Red
> Hat, and the free sofwtare movement.  It is hard today I think to
> get Fedora running on some PowerPC systems, on some MIPS systems
> too, and likely very hard on old VAX machines.  So what?
>
> We do not have to have every motherboard work well with free
> software.  But we do need at least one, and we hope many.

There certainly needs to be one to lead, but also more to follow so
that that one does not become a target.

But the best thing is that a free software UEFI would let anybody put
their own key as hardware root, and this would stymie the
rationalizing of big shots holding root and granting signing services
to their hardware.

Folks might have to pay extra for this at first, but it would soon be
apparent that this is the way it's supposed to be.

Seth