*countable infinities only

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Jun 18 13:56:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:43:27AM -0400, Seth Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > Like I said before, the existing UEFI implementations on the existing
> > hardware will support "Disable Secure Boot or use your own chain of
> > trust". If you're asking for the ability to install Linux without
> > requiring signed binaries then presumably you just want a UEFI
> > implementation that doesn't enforce secure boot by default? Those exist
> > already, without needing to write a new implementation.
>
> I defer to Jay for now.  It seems to me you are seeking permission
> from Microsoft or you would not be writing a shim.

Ok so what you mean is "I want a UEFI implementation that doesn't
require a Microsoft signature to boot"? The options there are currently
(1) have a Fedora specific key (which we're not doing because it would
fragment the community) and (2) ship systems without secure boot enabled
by default. System76 (and possibly others) will be supplying systems
that provide (2), so that choice is available to you.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org