Schedule for Monday's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:20:40 UTC 2012

On 18 June 2012 00:38, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> the point is that it was perfectly possible in 2005 to make a fedora
> dist-upgrade at friday night while http, netatalk or samba was
> fully up and running until saturday sometimes at evening where
> you rebootet the machine and now EIGHT years later we discuss about
> making updates at reboot/offline like windows?

Well, if you're running a headless server with just http, netatalk and
samba then you can of course update now live using yum, restarting
services when convenient. I'm not going to change that. What I want to
change is for the case of updating a fully functioning desktop with
~30 session processes per user talking to each other over session
DBus, ~20 doing IPC with system DBus, and ~15 processes in the system
context, ~3 of which do DBus IPC with each other. That's about as far
removed from a simple server with three non-connected daemons that do
one thing each as you can get.

> something must have gone terrible wrong in the meantime

If your goal is to just run three simple daemons, I agree.

Richard.