Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

Ben Rosser rosser.bjr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:56:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not willing to change the kernel spec file for this.
>
> The kernel calls 'new-kernel-pkg', which today is provided by grubby.
> Despite the similar name, grubby actually works with more than just
> grub and grub2.  It also supports bootloaders found on other
> architectures, such as yaboot, elilo, silo, zipl, and U-Boot.  So,
> rather than conditionalize all of this junk in the kernel spec file,
> we call our nice purposeful abstraction script and whatever provides
> that does the bootloader stuff for us.
>
> If someone wants to make something else provide 'new-kernel-pkg' and
> do similar magic, great.  If it's pushed into a per-bootloader thing
> that would work too (though I would find it wasteful and suboptimal).
> However, the abstraction grubby provides is actually _useful_ and
> beneficial overall, so fixing any deficiencies because of the grub ->
> grub2 transition would seem like a better idea to me.

Hmm, okay.

In that case, would it be possible (or at least, a better idea) to modify
*grubby* to call grub2-mkconfig when the bootloader is grub2? Then we'd
still have all the other abstractions for other bootloaders but new kernel
entries would be added in a way that respects the configurations in
/etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d.

Ben