*countable infinities only

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Mon Jun 18 21:03:14 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 01:21 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 18.06.2012 19:18, schrieb Adam Williamson:
>
>> I hesitate to put words in people's mouths, and correct me if I'm wrong,
>> but it reads to me as if Jay and others are arguing from an incorrect
>> That premise is to assume that there is a God-given right for
>> people who own computing devices to retrofit alternative operating
>> systems onto those devices.
>>
>> I want to put it out there that this is _not true_
>
> it is true
>
> i buy a computer
> i do not rent it
> i pay money, i own teh device after giving my money

You have to realize that the ease of installing alternative software is
a historical accident resulting from the fact that you buy the computer
from one company and the software is provided  by another company.
Certainly in cases when both hardware and software come from the same
company, the expectation is that you cannot freely replace the software.

Do you own it? Yes. Can you break it? Yes. Do they have to make it easy
or at all possible to replace the software? No!.

As Adam said, there is no legal doctrine guaranteeing the right to
replace such software, and unfortunately there may be laws forbidding
you from circumventing technical obstacles to replace the original
software, if the manufacturer can claim that they protect some
copyrighted material.

Please understand that I am not saying that this is how it should be; I
am just saying this is how things are now, in my personal opinion.