*countable infinities only

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 21:04:25 UTC 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:21:40 +0200, you wrote:

>Am 18.06.2012 19:18, schrieb Adam Williamson:
>
>> I hesitate to put words in people's mouths, and correct me if I'm wrong,
>> but it reads to me as if Jay and others are arguing from an incorrect
>> That premise is to assume that there is a God-given right for
>> people who own computing devices to retrofit alternative operating
>> systems onto those devices.
>>
>> I want to put it out there that this is _not true_
>
>it is true
>
>i buy a computer
>i do not rent it
>i pay money, i own teh device after giving my money

Many things you buy come with restrictions on ownership.

If you buy a car, you accept that there are restrictions on it.  You
cannot drive it anywhere you want, you must obey certain rules when
operating it, you are forbidden from making certain modifications to
it, etc.

You buy a house, and you can't do anything you want.  You must
following building codes, community bylaws, HOH/condo rules, etc.

A computer is nothing different.  If it has limitations when you buy
it, your are implicitely accepting those limitations when you complete
the transaction.  In some cases you may be able to get around those
limitations, but it is not a right to be able to.