*countable infinities only

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Jun 18 21:54:18 UTC 2012

Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com> writes:

> If I understand correctly, Fedora has now formally allowed
> Microsoft to lock Fedora out of many coming ARM devices.

As I understand it, you have the freedom to purchase a $99 key from
Microsoft which you can then use to install Fedora on those locked ARM
devices designed for Windows 8.

The current proposal is that Fedora does NOT spend the $99 on an ARM
key, but any Fedora user could circumvent that. Admittedly most likely
with a bit of annoying paperwork and key juggling. Hopefully the
technical part would be made quite easy because it would be like the
process for running self-signed on x86.

Fedora also has the ability to change its collective mind at any time;
if it is discovered that it makes more sense to sign Fedora ARM with a
key from Microsoft, then Fedora has that option open.

This whole business is leaving an awfully bad taste in my mouth but I
have no ideas which are better than the original proposal.

/Benny