Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 01:12:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 18:57 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> As far as I'm aware, there is in fact no reason why you can't remove
> grub2 and replace it with grub (legacy) if it has the exact behaviors
> you prefer and require.

This is broadly true, but I'd say it's fairly inevitable it'll get more
difficult and buggy over time; not due to any sinister action on
anyone's part, but simply inaction. No-one will be maintaining
grub-legacy any more once it's superseded for EFI purposes, and fewer
and fewer people will be using and testing it over time, making it less
and less likely that any bugs which creep into grub itself or grubby or
the kernel scripts or any other bit of the whole infrastructure will be
found and fixed wrt grub-legacy.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey