*countable infinities only

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 08:40:22 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 06:18 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I hesitate to put words in people's mouths, and correct me if I'm
> wrong, but it reads to me as if Jay and others are arguing from an
> incorrect premise. That premise is to assume that there is a
> God-given right for people who own computing devices to retrofit
> alternative operating systems onto those devices.
>
> I want to put it out there that this is _not true_.

The problem with this claim is that it equivocates on the meaning of
"a right".  There are at least two definitions of "a right" in this
sense: moral rights and legal rights.  These are not the same.  Moral
rights are not in the gift of any Government.  While we may not have a
legal right to run whatever software we wish on hardware we own, it's
not at all unreasonable to claim a moral right to do so.

Andrew.