time to fix silly ssh bug

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:01:41 UTC 2012

It's been true for a long time that fedora sets up home dir as 775.
But ssh, with default settings, won't allow public keys to work when
home dir has mode 775.

Not only, but the poor new fedora user, who tries to ssh into his fedora
box, won't see any message indicating what is wrong.  Only if he/she can
be root and read var/log/secure they may learn the reason.

This is rediculous.  I liked the idea of 775 when it was introduced, since it
did solve an annoyance with the old unix groups.  But then we should make the
default fedora install work by setting the sshd config to allow it to accept
this setup.