*countable infinities only

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 15:20:30 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 03:45 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> I would claim that the moral right to run whatever software we wish on
> hardware we own is a negative right; it doesn't put any obligation on
> another party to help you do it.  If you can hack up Fedora to run on a
> Nokia Windows phone, more power to you, but Nokia and Microsoft aren't
> obligated to help you do it, and aren't legally prohibited from doing
> things that make it difficult for you to exercise your moral right.

I think I'd disagree with you there.  I don't think it's any different
from someone using extensive technical measures to prevent anyone
other than the authorized dealers of a particular car from servicing
it.  Such a move would be treated as anti-competitive in many countries,
and IMO software should be treated in the same way.

> Possibly in this example someone might consider Nokia and Microsoft to
> be infringing their moral right, but (in the US at least) they'd have no
> recourse.

Indeed.

Andrew.