*countable infinities only

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 15:41:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 09:40 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:

> > I hesitate to put words in people's mouths, and correct me if I'm
> > wrong, but it reads to me as if Jay and others are arguing from an
> > incorrect premise. That premise is to assume that there is a
> > God-given right for people who own computing devices to retrofit
> > alternative operating systems onto those devices.
> >
> > I want to put it out there that this is _not true_.
>
> The problem with this claim is that it equivocates on the meaning of
> "a right".  There are at least two definitions of "a right" in this
> sense: moral rights and legal rights.  These are not the same.  Moral
> rights are not in the gift of any Government.  While we may not have a
> legal right to run whatever software we wish on hardware we own, it's
> not at all unreasonable to claim a moral right to do so.

See later discussion. In the sense of 'attempt to do so', this is
certainly supportable, but is a side track to our actual topic here. In
the sense of 'demand that the manufacturer make it easy to do so', no, I
don't believe it is reasonable to claim such a right, moral or legal.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey