Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 19 16:42:52 UTC 2012

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> Other possibility is to go directly to 1 GiB but we are not sure
> there's advantage (at least not now).

You would probably want to make the target 1 GB (SI units), not 1 GiB. The
capacity of thumb drives is measured in SI units, so a "1 GB" thumb drive really
is 1000^3 bytes, not 1024^3. (They start out with the binary capacity, but some
fraction of that is used for overhead, leaving some amount between the SI and
binary size. Hence the advertising refers to the SI size.)

> So we'd like to hear from rel-engs, QA etc. what's theirs position
> here.

AFAIK the only QA issue would be getting notified as to what the new target is,
so the size tests can be modified. You probably also want to create a page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/18/Spins with the new size. The
corresponding page currently exists for 16, but not 17 or 18.