Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Jun 19 18:54:59 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 08:36 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 02:12:06PM -0400, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>>> F18 is already using grub2 for EFI. I think we can remove grub-legacy
>>> now.
>>
>> What about the Fedora images for Amazon EC2? I seem to recall that
>> because of pvgrub use they can't use grub2 yet.  (I don't claim to be
>> an expert on the cloud images -- I'm just asking a question based on
>> what I seem to recall from earlier conversations.)
>
> Isn't pvgrub in the host environment rather than the guest? I thought we
> just needed the ability to generate the config files.

pvgrub peeks into the guest disk so it needs to understand the partition
table, the filesystem and the grub config file in the guest. Initially it
didn't handle things like ext4, grub2 and EFI but AFAIK these should be
fine now. I'm not sure what Amazons host systems use but hopefully they run
a relatively modern version of pvgrub.

Regards,
  Dennis