Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 22:19:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 22:14 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 09:03 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > I'll add to that to note that we now have Xfce, LXDE and Sugar all on
> > the DVD.
>
> Which should have been added to the release blocker process when it got
> added there.
>
>  From my point of view any handed out media at various events etc and
> what's on it should be considered release blocker.
>

> > I've considered asking about making Xfce a blocking desktop, but I have
> > no idea how the LXDE and Sugar communities are with helping testing,
> > etc.
> >
> > It would mean added burden on QA folks to test more stuff, and added
> > burden on maintainers of those desktops to create timely fixes for any
> > blocker issues that come up.
>
> There is no such thing as added burden on QA + Me and James had already
> solved that problem long ago but never found the time to implement it
> like so many other things because we both where a bit busy with our
> $dayjobs.
>
> The solution was more or less this way
>
> If an manpower to cover anything else then critical path became a
> concern we should fetch that manpower from the relevant SIG's community.
>
> Basically the plan was to reach out for example to the
> Gnome/KDE/XFCE/LXDE/Sugar community's to ask for assistant to cover
> their relevant part of required testing if that was the case.
>
> If you think about it who are better qualified and more willing to test
> those components other then the people that are using it on daily bases...

This is fine in theory, but it doesn't hold up terribly well in
practice. Just about every time we roll a TC/RC, I mail the lists for
each desktop - GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Sugar - and ask for help in
filling out the validation matrix. We get help fairly often for GNOME
and KDE, and satellit_ usually covers Sugar, but we very rarely get
anything for Xfce or LXDE.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey