Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jun 19 23:25:50 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 03:59 PM, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Again anything that gets handed out at various events should be considered
>> release blockers since the quality of that product reflects back at us as a
>> community thus if an relevant SIG cannot cover it's own release testing
>> apart from what we consider core and QA handles ( which in essence is what
>> those spins build upon ) it should be removed from anything we officially
>> hand out thus no longer be considered release blockers.
>
> At what point in the process would you place the go-no-go as to the
> release of a specific deliverable as an official spin?
>
> In an effort to not beatup an existing subgroup that is perhaps
> shorthanded I'll talk about a hypthetical situation.
> For the sake of argument lets assume I and a small group of heroic
> people were able to beat CDE into shape as a new fedora spin.
> Retro is the new hotness right...
>
> We get a spin out the door we get on the spins page for a release or
> two....we are rocking the world. And then for some reason on the next
> release we all fall behind and we don't keep up with the necessary
> integration changes.  And CDE is just horribly broken for months.  A
> lot of bugs get set as release blockers and we are pinged...but we
> just don't get the work done.....
>
> At one point in the pre-release process does our Spin get culled from
> the herd and we are told..sorry..this release won't have a CDE spin?
> At what point does the QA and release team just punt?
>
> -jef

We already have a go/ no go line built into the schedule.  It's the
Feature Freeze line.  Things are supposed to be in a testable state by
that point.  If your desktop is so broken as to not even be testable,
that's reason to drop it.  I believe that's the transition from Alpha to
Beta.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk