*countable infinities only

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 00:26:53 UTC 2012

The positive/negative right formulation is a post-New Deal notion,
rooted in the question of whether it has been textually granted --
very different from the notion that we hold rights prior to
government.  It may be that we can describe all rights regardless of
whether they are the result of legislation or constitutional language,
but we have a unique foundation that renders the government
accountable to the people in that we established the States and the
Union on the basis of inalienable rights that are not subject to
government abrogation (except for very compelling reasons and by
narrowly tailored laws).

Seth