Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 07:14:15 UTC 2012

  Hi,

> Which is one of a number of reasons why I then suggested that instead of
> replacing grubby entirely, we could simply patch grubby to call
> grub2-mkconfig if the bootloader is grub2. That would accomplish everything
> I wanted to achieve (compliance with /etc/grub.d and /etc/default/grub,
> which means consistent boot menus), but not break environments where
> another bootloader like grub-legacy, or simply legacy grub-style
> configuration, is needed.

+1

Having two completely different ways (grubby fiddling with it directly
vs. grub2-mkconfig) to update the grub2 configuration sucks big time
IMHO.  It's inconsistent once both tools touched the config.  It also
asks for trouble, for example if there are any grub2-mkconfig changes
which generate config files grubby can't parse correctly.  With grub2
config essentially being a script language this can easily happen I suspect.

Just have grubby call grub2-mkconfig to update grub2.conf and be done
with it.

cheers,
  Gerd