boot chaining works, then? (Re: Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process)

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:26:48 UTC 2012

So, ...

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:08 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> Grubby does not work fine with GRUB 2, it creates sloppy menu lists that
>>> eventually break the advanced menu entries, as well as totally departing
>>> from any user customization of /etc/default/grub.
>>
>> … vs. grub2-mkconfig, which totally departs from any user customization in
>> grub.cfg.
>
> It does not totally depart. It is merely (highly) not recommended to directly edit that file. There is indirect customization, which actually in many ways exceeds that of Grub Legacy. But this is an old argument, that ship has sailed.
>

>> You gain flexibility in one place and lose it in another. I'm not convinced
>> it's an improvement. Though on the other hand, running grub2-mkconfig is how
>> upstream intends things to work.
>
> I've already been on this hill pulling my hair out over GRUB2's complexity and lack of well written documentation. However, I feel like I've passed this particularly large stone, the pain has subsided, and except during pre-release grub-mkconfig hasn't failed to produce a correct grub.cfg and bootable system. Not even once.

So, with grub-mkconfig, I can expect to be able to chain safely to
Debian from a Fedora-installed grub2 in the MBR?

Not have mk-config find Debian's kernel and initrd, etc., like
Debian's update-grub, but actually chainm, so that Debian can keep
track of its latest kernel and Fedora can keep track of its latest
kernel and I don't have to deliberately boot and update in both to
make sure the the boot process calls the latest kernel no matter which
I boot which from?

(Not to mention that grub2 doesn't find my 3rd drive for boot purposes.)

> So. While grubby may do other things, even for GRUB2 dependent systems, the part where it comes up with the new entry should, in my view, just call grub-mkconfig to cause a new grub.cfg to be created. If grub-mkconfig isn't working reliably for some reason, it's a bug that needs to be fixed anyway.
>

> Chris Murphy
> --

Joel Rees