(re)starting of a daemon after package update

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed Jun 20 12:32:33 UTC 2012

Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> Correct approach would be to save state before installation of new
> version starts and start dovecot (if flag is set) after old version is
> removed - that would mean %postun script. This does not seem to work on
> reinstall (the same version is installed) - %postun script is not executed.

Please also consider what happens when the new version of Dovecot requires a
new version of some library. RPM will ensure that both packages are updated in
the same transaction, but if I understand correctly it's not until %posttrans
that you can be sure that the new library is in place.

Björn Persson