F18 DNF and history

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 20 14:35:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 08:28 +1000, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On 19/06/12 10:51 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> >> Hi Michal,
> >>
> >> Thanks for pointing this out. I considered history a candidate for
> >> dropping because I didn't realize people had usecases for it. It is not
> >> present in the early versions of DNF but I will make sure to put it back
> >> in later.
> >
> >Just to add my voice to the choir, I use it extensively and I suspect
> >many others in QA group too. It's extremely useful when trying to
> >determine exactly what update caused a given problem.
>
> Maybe a "yum history bisect" would be a neat feature?

 I thought about implementing this, when I did "yum history rollback"
the problem is that you can only go "forwards". So say you have:

# yum history list
4 up
3 up blah
2 up bar
1 up foo

...then a bisect looks like:

# yum history list
5 rollback to 2
4 up
3 up blah
2 up bar
1 up foo

# yum history list
6 2=>1 or 2=>3
5 rollback to 2
4 up
3 up blah
2 up bar
1 up foo

...etc. and it seemed like it'd be too horrible to live with that in the
history. In theory we could add a feature so that "when you are finished
with the bisect" you can remove or merge the history for all the
transactions where the end rpmdb versions are the same. But it's not
obvious that adding features to remove things from history is a good
idea, in general.