[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:01:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 08:44:38AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> > Its not his ignorance - he's on vacation for the next two weeks...
>>
>> Brian replied to Lennart 7 minutes after Lennart's e-mail and mine was
>> an hour after that as a pretty good indication Lennart was not going to
>> reply. Unless the timing was coincidental of him packing his bags, I'm
>> still sticking with my post.
>
> Expecting and more or less demanding a reply after calling someone
> ignorant... not nice behaviour.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Olav
> --

If Puttering really went on vacation after dropping a bombshell like
that, well, I'm thinking he should recuse himself.

Yeah. I'm getting personal here. Lennart has put a lot of edits into
Fedora that are all about copying a design philosophy that has been
disasterous where it has been used. (Or perhaps getting the Fedora
community to do the grunt work on his Master's thesis on things that
shouldn't be done in an OS?) Edits that will have to be rolled back if
Fedora is to survive as the testbed for an enterprise class OS. Very
costly edits.

Edits that have been eating my sack time, which is why I've been
taking it personal.

But, as has been danced around in this thread several times already,
allowing /tmp to consume half of a system's putative RAM is really,
really perverse. (Unless you have stock in a company that sells RAM
and CPUs with >32 bit addressing.) No, you can declaim how the system
will auto-swap the RAM and "adjust things for you", but that is adding
to the cycles the CPUs have to waste doing things that are just plain
unnecessary.

tmpfs is there precisely because /tmp is not fast enough for certain
applications. Those applications should know who they are. Leave it
like that.

--
Joel Rees