[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 15:45:40 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 10:16 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Yeah, I won't be adding any checkboxes to have people pick their /tmp
>>> style.
>>
>> Then putting not putting /tmp on tmpfs is the only applicable default.
>
> +100
>
> a default has to be soemthing which is OK on EVERY setup
>
> /tmp on tmpfs is clearly NOT OK for every setup
> this is a possible tuning depending on environment and workload

That's pretty specious. You're not going to see a machine that doesn't boot
immediately after installation because /tmp is on tmpfs, so there's no reason
you can't frame /not/ having it on tmpfs to be a possible tuning depending
on environment and workload.

Since you can look at it either way in that regard, it's completely reasonable
to have the option that's best for most users as the default. As I see it,
that's to enable tmpfs for /tmp .

--
         Peter