Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 16:57:27 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 12:42 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 09:21 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:

>>> grub2-mkconfig is inherently a more 'destructive' operation than grubby,
>>> is really my only thought. But I wouldn't mind the change much at all.
>>> pjones' opinion would be the most valuable to have, I guess.
>>
>> I really don't see what the point would be.  We're going to have to keep
>> grubby for various reasons, not least pvgrub.  So switching to using
>> grub2-mkconfig to update grub2 config files has numerous downsides, most
>> obviously:
>>
>> 1) it means new-kernel-pkg would need to be even more complex
>
> As I understood it, the latest version of the proposal involves having
> grubby simply call grub2-mkconfig when it is dealing with grub2. So the
> rest of the 'stack' doesn't change at all.

This is hardly a substantive difference from what I said; either way,
you're effectively asking me to make something with less features and more
complexity.  In fact making grubby call out to another program is /more/
complex than making new-kernel-pkg do it.

>> 2) it means per-kernel command line changes aren't a thing we can really
>>      support, which means if for some reason you need a command line option
>>      to boot with one kernel that's installed and it needs to /not/ be there
>>      for another, we'll be writing a wrong config every time.
>
> It's not possible to do this through grub2's own mechanisms?

No; it only gives you the same command line for every kernel.

--
         Peter