*countable infinities only

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:19:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM, nomnex <nomnex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Things have changed. That's a good news (for once). Thanks for the
> update.

Bravo, so apparently there is a leader on this, a free software UEFI
on its own trustworthy hardware, that hopefully will tell the truth to
the user about security for the owner of the device, and make
installing free operating systems non-scary.

However, more need to follow in the same market (and in providing
infrastructure for boxes over which owners have root control) so
System76 does not become a target.  Then big shots won't be able to
turn a practice of holding root on their devices and granting signing
services to their hardware, into a bogus norm either of a kind that
says you must have a "license to compute," or of a kind that says
copyright means you can't parse and process published information,
that turns it into a prior restraint.

You might have to pay extra at first, but this will make it apparent
to the world at large that this is the way things should be, rather
than either of those bogus norms.  Then we will have won the entire
information freedom battle, for us and our grandchildren.

No need for a shim.  Use your own chain of trust.  No implication that
anybody must be *forced* to provide devices without Secure Boot turned
on.  The Secure Boot technology is a useful facility.

You need to come to terms with what this new technology means for
freedom.  That does not mean boot on all hardware sold.  It does mean
make sure free software has and supports hardware with UEFIs that
cater to freedom, and that gives you control over boxes you own.

Seth