[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jun 20 17:51:24 UTC 2012

Am 20.06.2012 19:41, schrieb Gregory Maxwell:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a sysadmin...for a multi-seat configuration in a home network
>> environment...do I really need to anticipate maximum large file tmp
>> usage in calculating my swap partition size for my multi-user family?
>> 8 gigs of ram... so to be safe I want to set up a swap of what...100
>> gigs to account for a potentially large /tmp of some maximum size?
>
> This is an issue you have independent of tmpfs.  How big does / need
> to be? (or if /tmp is on another volume due to the fragmentation mess
> it creates, how big does that volume need to be)

the huge difference between swapping and the size of swap
or have /tmp on the normal file-system is that SWAP is dead
space allocation and mostly useless on modern machines

a reserve on / for installed new applications, logfiles, /tmp
and whatever will there be stored can be used in a mixed
workload for EVERYTHING (data, tmp, logs...)

normally you know how much space you need for your target-setup
and allocate around 2xneeded space for rootfs

your /tmp on tmpfs is only wasting space allocations and/or
memory or your system simply crashs - you are also missing
that if /tmp get's full and is on rootfs there are 5% reserved
for root, so NOTHING happens to your system you can not repair
easily

if you system starts to swap because a large file in tmpfs and
swap is full your machine crashs, you have no way to do anything
and in the worst c ase you will lose data

until now NOBODY was able to explain a real-world benefit
for /tmp on tmpfs as argument for make it a default and i more
and more refuse to undrsatnd how decisions are made in Fedora

this all feels like:

* one person has a idea late at night
* the person makes a proposal
* some people do not understand anything and says "why not"
* the "feature" is approved