default DNS caching name server on Fedora ?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 23:14:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 16:24 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > There are at least 2 situations where it is needed, and they are common
> > or will be common enough.
> >
> > The 2 use cases for which a properly configurable and dynamically
> > changeable caching DNA name server would be really useful are:
> > - DNSSEC verification
> > - Clients using VPNs into private networks.
>
> This already works out of the box using unbound, dnssec-trigger and
> openswan. I use it every day to connect to the red hat vpn, even
> if I'm at a hotspot place.

NM has also done this for a couple years when you use the dnsmasq DNS
plugin for NM.  It'll also set up the reverse address mappings so that
reverse lookups work, which I found  necessary for some stuff (krb5 I
think?).  It's not hard to create a new plugin, one could be created for
dnssec-trigger and even for unbound by itself.

NM will ask plugins to handle DNS from any source it receives the
information from, be that static configuration, DHCP, VPNs, PPP, mobile
broadband, etc.  If no plugin is registered, or if those plugins fail to
handle it, NM falls back to writing /etc/resolv.conf, where, of course,
you don't get nice split DNS because glibc is simple.

Dan