Fwd: Filtering question

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:53:57 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 04:04 PM, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On 06/21/2012 10:18 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>> I raised this issue on rpmfusion-devel. However, I think it's general
>> enough to seek advice also here on fedora-devel. since it's really about
>> how to understand the filtering guidelines.
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm reviewing a package 2300  which at a glance seems to need filtering:
>> it both Requires: and Provides: it's internal plugin libraries, many of
>> which with generic names likely to clash with other packages symbols.
>>
>> But when I look at the guidelines at
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AutoProvidesAndRequiresFiltering,
>> they
>>
>> seem to be contradictory:
>>   - One one hand, a package "Must not export RPM dependency information
>> which is not global in nature..." e. g., plugins.
>>   - On the other, a package which have binaries in PATH and/or system
>> libraries must not use filtering; this applies also to sub-packages.
>
> The filtering page on the wiki is rather out of date as it pre-dates
> rpm 4.9 (F-15 onwards), which includes a native filtering mechanism
> and doesn't require that the internal dependency generator be turned
> off, and is therefore safe to use on packages containing binaries.

Ouch! And thanks! This has cost Richard (the submitter) quite some time.

Any chance that you, who seems to know this stuff, could update the
wiki? Or at least just insert a warning it's outdated? I know I could
that myself, and I will unless someone else does. But it's always an
advantage to know what you are talking about ;)

>> 2300 is, at present, a package with binaries in $PATH (can't use
>> filtering) providing and requiring it's own plugins (must be filtered).
>> What should we do?
>>
>> Split into two independent packages built from same source?
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Adding the following lines seems to achieve what you're looking for:
>
> [cut]

I'm sure Richard will try this. Once again, many thanks!

--alec