PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin considered harmful

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jun 22 10:53:09 UTC 2012

Michael Schwendt writes:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:50:25 +0100, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
>
> > I assume this error is also an instance of the same problem:
> >
> >  Error: Package: 2:samba-common-3.6.5-89.fc17.1.x86_64 (@updates-testing)
> >            Requires: /usr/sbin/ldconfig
> >            Removing: glibc-2.15-37.fc17.i686 (@fedora)
> >                Not found
> >            Updated By: glibc-2.15-48.fc17.i686 (updates-testing)
> >                Not found
> > Error: Package: 2:libsmbclient-3.6.5-89.fc17.1.x86_64 (@updates-testing)
> >            Requires: /usr/sbin/ldconfig
> >            Removing: glibc-2.15-37.fc17.i686 (@fedora)
> >                Not found
> >            Updated By: glibc-2.15-48.fc17.i686 (updates-testing)
> >                Not found
> >
> > ?
>
> No, that was due to hardcoded /usr/sbin/ldconfig paths:

Oh, yes it is the same problem, but in reverse.

Anyone who searches PATH will find /usr/sbin/ldconfig.

glibc rpm installs /sbin/ldconfig.

Anything that uses PATH to find ldconfig, and uses it in any way that gets
sniffed out by find-requires, is going to cause a conflict with the next
glibc update. The package will install fine, but everything will come
crashing down, as soon as a mid-release glibc update shows up.

The only reason everything hasn't come apart, by now, is because everyone's
been hardcoding /sbin/ldconfig in their %post-s and %postun-s.