get compiz back in official repository

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 20:11:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 15:12 +0430, Bersam K wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> In fedora 17 we see no compiz, because of some conflicts with
> boost-serialization. and of cource new compiz (0.9.x) are really
> buggy! show blank screen when you use Desktop Cube and some other
> really bad bugs.

Well those are two reasons. The more important third reason is that
no-one wants to maintain compiz. I don't want to, and drago01 doesn't
want to any more, that's why he orphaned it. Whether it's 0.8 or 0.9, we
just don't want to spend the time on it. If you want to, certainly
no-one will stand in your way...

> So i just figure out what other folks in Archlinux did about this, yes
> they downgrade package to 0.8.8, i try that, it work really great with
> no problem and no library conflict. i suggest to downgrade this
> package to 0.8.8 and add it to official repo again.
> I can't do this because first i need a sponsor or mentor and add
> another package to official repository then i become a maintainer and
> i can have access to old specs and gits!

It's easy enough just to get a .src.rpm from the last release which
included compiz, and submit your review from that. Or you can check out
the git repo and go back in history to a point where the spec exists.
Accessing the Fedora spec/sources really shouldn't be at all difficult.
That's the point of an RCS, after all. Good luck.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey