Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 06:07:35 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> [..]
> So I really wonder whether it isn't more practical to set an arbitrary limit
> and let the user find a suitable medium to burn it on (if in doubt, a DVD;
> we'll probably call it a "Live DVD" in the first place).

Well using a DVD if you intend to burn has always been a good idea.
You get better seek times for free (empty dvd costs little to no more
then a cd now days).
As for your "exotic" CD sizes ... the likelihood of the user having a
DVD burner or BIOS that could just boot from USB media is way higher
then a burner that can deal with them.

So I'd just opt for not worrying about CDs anymore. The only real
argument for CD sized images is download time but using Fedora without
a proper internet connection is no fun anyway (updates) so not sure
that matters either ...