Space wasted by Non English Packages shipped by Default on Fedora 17.

Johannes Lips johannes.lips at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:32:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Malcolm Turmel <malcolm.turmel at gmail.com>wrote:

> Its still taking up valuable space.
>
> All the non-english packages should be optional.
>
> When I try to remove one of the Package, it tells me its going to also
> Uninstall lots of other stuff.
>
> How would I go about now uninstalling all of them without breaking my
> system.
>

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Julian Leyh <julian at vgai.de> wrote:
>
>> 2012/6/25 Malcolm Turmel <malcolm.turmel at gmail.com>:
>> > There seems to be support for lots of languages other than English,
>> which I
>> > don't need, but it seems to be installed by default on Fedora 17. Why?
>>
>> Package Groups are shown as "installed", as soon as all mandatory
>> packages are installed (IIRC at least one package of the group has to
>> be installed). Some groups have no mandatory packages at all. Most of
>> the language support groups have font packages in their list that can
>> already be installed on default system. That way they get displayed as
>> "installed". In reality it means "partially installed".
>>
>> No need to worry.
>>
>> --
>> If you don't remember something, it never happened...
>> If you aren't remembered, you never existed...
>> --

They are probably shipped by default, since there are people around who
don't speak english and also use a different set of letters.
I think it's good to give them a good out-of-the-box fedora experience.
To say if it's safe to remove the packages one would need to know which
packages exactly are removed by the yum transaction.

Johannes