Couldn't we enable 256 colors by default on TERM?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Jun 26 01:24:47 UTC 2012

We discussed this in fesco today and had a couple of concerns. The
primary one was that handling this in profile seemed a bit fragile. It
seems like it would be more "correct" to have the terminals explicitly
set xterm-256 themselves if they're capable of it, rather than assuming
things about the binaries that a user may have installed. It's a little
more work, although not a great deal - by the looks of it vte sets this
itself, so a single patch would handle most of the GTK cases.

Thoughts?
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org