Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 01:53:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> inode0 wrote:
>> The "quota" for these would need to be much higher already as the
>> Multi-Desktop is now 6.1GB
>
> The Multi Desktop Live DVD is dual-layer, it's not expected to fit 4.7 GB.
> But dual-layer DVDs also have a finite capacity. ;-) So we can allow each
> spin to grow to a certain extent, but not to an arbitrarily high size or to
> a full DVD. We need "arbitrary" quota which sum up to at most the size of a
> dual-layer DVD.

Right. We should note also that there is no requirement that the Multi
Desktop include the desktops that it currently includes. Right now it
includes 5 desktops and while I hope it can continue to include all 5
there is no requirement for it to. And it really would not be the end
of the world for the Multi Desktop to not be dual architecture in the
future, this is convenient but at some point 32 bit will be dropped
anyway and it could just be split into arch specific DVDs if
necessary.

John