Couldn't we enable 256 colors by default on TERM?

Miloslav Trma─Ź mitr at volny.cz
Tue Jun 26 16:45:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> We discussed this in fesco today and had a couple of concerns.

Another one is that connecting to systems that don't support xterm-256
is not quite easy.  In particular, there appears to be no way to
configure ~/.ssh/config so that "ssh oldhost" (and "ssh oldhost
arbitrarycommand") transparently changes the TERM value - one would
have to set up shell functions or something similar.  An extension of
the ssh would be very nice - and failing that, an explicit recipe how
to override TERM correctly would be welcome as well.
    Mirek