Support for legacy init script actions for systemd services

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 23:54:03 UTC 2012

=?UTF-8?B?IkrDs2hhbm4gQi4gR3XDsG11bmRzc29uIg==?= <johannbg at gmail.com> writes:
> On 06/26/2012 10:12 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> Breaking "service foo action" reason was just an unnecessary
>> regression that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

> Agreed and honestly this sudden turnaround now smells a bit like RHEL
> "7" was a big contributing factor to that decision since this has been a
> know problem from the start..

I think you're right, and the reason why that's an issue is that people
who were previously on RHEL6 are being exposed to systemd for the first
time.  And they don't like it.

>> Asking upstreams to "adopt" things that used to be done in
>> distributions (and therefore were consistent within a distribution)
>> without suggesting a good convention to follow (suggesting a high
>> probability that they will not be consistent, and distributions will
>> not be "allowed" to make them consistent) sounds like a change for the
>> worse from the original state (it is, after all, one of the primary
>> roles of a distribution to collect various differing upstreams and
>> make a consistent OS from them) - but, well, the result will not be
>> different from any other inter-project inconsistencies, so I don't
>> view this as a "problem".

> I would rather argue that various upstreams should reach agreement on
> how things should properly be done and moved forward

I don't presume to speak for all upstreams, but I can tell you that
postgresql in particular is not likely to want to get involved here.
They have other things to worry about, and have always thought that
things like initscripts are mainly a packager's province anyway.
But the big picture from our point of view is that "service postgresql
initdb" has been the way to initialize a postgresql database for quite a
few years, on many platforms besides Red-Hat-based ones.  *We* are the
ones who are out of step, and only somebody blinded by the Systemd Is
The One True Way faith would fail to recognize that.

> I'm pretty sure that this administrators muscle memory which has been
> referred to no longer exist amongst the administrators in the Fedora
> project

I beg to differ.  If Bill doesn't get his wrist slapped by FPC, I'll
be implementing this for postgresql tomorrow, because I'm tired of
hearing complaints about it.

			regards, tom lane