swapping disk with UEFI hardware - a dead end?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 14:20:17 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 10:08 AM, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> Having sent that mail it became obvious that what's happened is that
>> your
>> new x220 board doesn't have the efi boot variable set.  Some machines
>> allow
>> you to boot from a file, in which case it'll be
>> /efi/fedora/grubx64.efi .
>> If your firmware doesn't have that, you'll need to boot some
>> install/rescue
>> media to get to a shell. In either case you'll need to use efibootmgr
>> add /efi/fedora/grubx64.efi to the boot order.
>>
>> That's all assuming it's F17; if it's earlier, it'll be
>> /efi/redhat/grub.efi .
>
> Efibootmgr revealed following:
>
> $ efibootmgr -v
> Boot0019* Fedora	HD(1,800,64000,16a05b56-2ea8-4cea-956b-f2d5499583e5)File(\EFI\redhat\grub.efi)
>
> (It's F17 clean install, but it has /grub.efi file, instead of /grubx64.efi. I installed from USB.)

Er, yes, I've already lost what happened before the F18 tree from my mind :/.
Sorry for the confusion.

> That means that if I can re-generate the same boot option on the new
> hardware,it should boot, right? That's great. I can't reproduce it easily
> again (the other X220 is gone now), but it's useful to know this in case I
> need it again. Thanks for the explanation.

Well, the HD(...) may be slightly different, but I don't think it will be. If
you've got everything mounted and you're in the chroot then you should be able
to do:

efibootmgr -c -b ${SOMEFREEBOOTNUM} -L Fedora -l '\EFI\redhat\grub.efi'

> Do we have a Fedora page documenting boot problems somewhere (re-installing
> GRUB and stuff)? It would be useful to add a short help in there about UEFI
> too. GRUB guides are all over the Internet, but UEFI is a new stuff and I
> wasn't able to google anything at all about this problem.

Common Bugs is kinda sorta close to what you're talking about I guess?

--
         Peter