yum & "pragma: no-cache" (was Re: F18 DNF and history)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 22 13:22:52 UTC 2012

Am 22.06.2012 15:17, schrieb Zdenek Pavlas:
>> From: "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>
>> can we get a package downloader that sends the correct
>> cache-control http headers to refresh data automatically
>> instead of complaining metadata is wrong and aborting
>> (for people behind a caching proxy)?
>
> Have you tried changing http_caching option in yum.conf
> from (default) 'all' to 'packages'?

this is nothing which can be controlled properly by
the client - the server is responsible for caching-headers

Cache-Control: private
Pragma: private

and no longer will any proxy cache the file while
the client itself is allowed to do so

this is the only technical clean solution for "people behind a
caching proxy" and the problem a proxy may have cached wrong
metadata

you do this typically in any webapplication if you
deliver content only available after login