Automating the NonResponsiveMaintainers policy

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 18:53:55 UTC 2012

Karel Zak (kzak at redhat.com) said:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers
>
>  * After 2 attempts of no contact, the reporter asks if anyone knows how
>    to contact the maintainer.
>
>  * After another 7 days, the reporter posts a formal request to the
>    fedora-devel list with the bug link.
>
>  * If at least one FESCo member approves the takeover and no one objects
>    within 3 days, the requester may take over the package.

So, trying to get some progress here, I see two issues:

1) It's all manual.

Ideally, there would be a way to pull this information, rather than relying
on manual pokes and collecting the results of said pokes, even if we didn't
change the policy at all.

2) It doesn't solve the problem of a non-responsive maintainer where the
requester *DOESN'T* want to take over the package.

For example, just because I might have a an issue getting a needed change
into glibc doesn't mean I would want take over glibc. Of course, without a
willing maintainer to take over in this case, you're still stuck.

Bill