GPT and Fedora 17

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Mar 2 21:35:49 UTC 2012

On Mar 2, 2012, at 2:20 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> Model: ATA ST9500420AS (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
> Disk Flags: pmbr_boot
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
> 1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB                     bios_grub
> 2      2097kB  526MB   524MB   ext4         ext4  boot
> 3      526MB   500GB   500GB                      lvm

1.
What happens if you remove the GPT boot flag from sda2?

2.
What happens if you add the GPT legacy_boot flag to sda2?

3.
While I wouldn't recommend supporting such a solution, but I'm curious what happens if you use gdisk to create a hybrid MBR, and add only partition 3 (lvm), set it as bootable instead of the PMBR. GPT fdisk (gdisk) can do this. It's now on the F17 LiveCD. Menu 'r' option 'h'.

Chris Murphy