Torvalds:requiring root password for mundane things is moronic

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 6 03:35:11 UTC 2012

passwd keeps complaining "The password fails the dictionary check - it is too simplistic" for fake words NOT in the dictionary but otherwise too simple for passwd's approval system.

I'm using the F17 alpha LiveCD and I'm just testing. I want a SIMPLE password and it won't let me use anything I can remember. I have to write down a temp password to do TESTING? This behavior is so completely asinine, it's like I have a f'n security mom parenting my password selection. I don't know who thinks it's their business to programmatically prevent me from choosing dogcrap as a password, but it's really irritating.

Oh and the password is hullop130. Nice thwart of an annoying, USELESS behavior, huh?

Chris Murphy